D.Y. Patil Education Society, Deemed to be University policy on ‘substance’ abuse and practices regarding the possession, use and distribution of substances is based on normative principles. The use, possession or distribution of a ‘substance’ is banned on the campus, in its facilities, in the functions and programs organized /conducted by the University or its institutions. Although University policies and practices emphasize a concern for the welfare of individuals, the University also recognizes the importance of maintaining the safety and well-being of the community as a whole. The University will take disciplinary action as per the procedures set out in the policy, against any member of its community, if he/she is found to consume, possess, sell, purchase, transport or distribute any narcotic drug or psychotropic substance.
To prevent substance abuse and to create a secure, conducive atmosphere for learning among the students on the campus DYPES-DU adheres to the following guidelines concerning the possession, use and/or distribution of substances of abuse:
Cannabis, Heroin, Benzodiazepines, barbiturates, Flunitrazepam, Cocaine, Ketamine, Psilocybin, Lysergic acid diethylamide, Amphetamine, Methamphetamines, MDMA, Phencyclidine, GHB, Methaqualone, Inhalants and any other drugs and substances mentioned in The Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Act 1985.
- 1. The possession, use and/or distribution of substances of abuse are prohibited on premises owned or controlled by DYPES.
- 2. DYPES squads are permitted to carry out random checks on students/residential premises for substances of abuse.
- 3. Possession, use and/or distribution of substances of abuse will attract appropriate disciplinary action which may include expulsion.
Offenders will also come under the purview of Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act 1985 (NDPS Act) and will be liable for penal action.DISCIPLINARY PROCEDURES A student violating the DYPES policy on substance abuse will face:
- I. Immediate suspension from the college, pending enquiry.
- II. Parent/legal guardian will be informed immediately and will be expected to meet the Dean/Head of Institution (HOI) at the earliest.
- III. The Institutional disciplinary committee will conduct an enquiry and submit the report to HOI who will initiate further action in consultation with the Dean, Student Affairs, DYPES.
- · The University campus is declared as “Alcohol /Tobacco free campus”
- · If a student is found possessing/consuming Tobacco/Alcohol in the premises owned or controlled by DYPES, the Disciplinary Committee (DC) will take appropriate action.